Skip to Main Content
It looks like you're using Internet Explorer 11 or older. This website works best with modern browsers such as the latest versions of Chrome, Firefox, Safari, and Edge. If you continue with this browser, you may see unexpected results.
Southeastern NY Library Resources Council
What Is CONTENTdm?
New York Heritage is powered by CONTENTdm, a digital collection management system provided by OCLC. Empire State Library Network licenses CONTENTdm and makes it available to member organizations that contribute to New York Heritage.
The system consists of:
- A server for storing digital files and metadata. OCLC hosts and maintains the NY Heritage CONTENTdm server.
- A web-based public interface for searching, browsing and viewing the digital files and metadata.
- Tools for creating and maintaining digital collections:
- CONTENTdm Administration is a web-based admin module. Login required.
- CONTENTdm Project Client is a Windows-based application used to add items and metadata to digital collections.
First Steps to using CONTENTdm in New York Heritage:
- Register for a free WorldCat account. CONTENTdm accounts are managed through WorldCat, another OCLC product. After creating your account, email your username to Jen Palmentiero at Southeastern. She will add you as a user to the New York Heritage CONTENTdm server. Jen doesn't need your password, but you will, so write it down!
- Download the CONTENTdm Project Client from the OCLC website. You will need the New York Heritage serial number to install the software. Email Jen Palmentiero at Southeastern for the serial number.
Work with Projects
Tutorials covering various topics relating to project management. These include: creating, opening, deleting, exporting, and sharing projects.
Add items & objects
Tutorials on adding items to projects. Topics include (among others): adding single items, adding compound items, generating thumbnails, and working with pdf files.
Tutorials relating to metadata. Topics include using controlled vocabularies, using find & replace, using the item editing tab, and creating metadata templates.
In-depth tutorials relating to adding, editing, and managing compound objects.
FAQ & Troubleshooting
A collection of frequently asked questions related to the system, as well as troubleshooting documentation for common issues.
21 South Elting Corners Road | Highland, NY 12528
Phone: (845) 883-9065