New York Heritage is powered by CONTENTdm, a digital collection management system provided by OCLC. Empire State Library Network licenses CONTENTdm and makes it available to member organizations that contribute to New York Heritage.
The system consists of:
- A server for storing digital files and metadata. OCLC hosts and maintains the NY Heritage CONTENTdm server.
- A web-based public interface for searching, browsing and viewing the digital files and metadata.
- Tools for creating and maintaining digital collections:
- CONTENTdm Administration is a web-based admin module. Login required.
- CONTENTdm Project Client is a Windows-based application used to add items and metadata to digital collections.
First Steps to using CONTENTdm in New York Heritage:
- Register for a free WorldCat account. CONTENTdm accounts are managed through WorldCat, another OCLC product. After creating your account, email your username to Jen Palmentiero at Southeastern. She will add you as a user to the New York Heritage CONTENTdm server. Jen doesn't need your password, but you will, so write it down!
- Download the CONTENTdm Project Client from the OCLC website. You will need the New York Heritage serial number to install the software. Email Jen Palmentiero at Southeastern for the serial number.