Skip to main content
It looks like you're using Internet Explorer 11 or older. This website works best with modern browsers such as the latest versions of Chrome, Firefox, Safari, and Edge. If you continue with this browser, you may see unexpected results.
Southeastern NY Library Resources Council
Notes -- SEAL User's Groups
- Over the past few months, Zack has been working on adding categories to the SEAL search.
- Historically the catalog has served two purposes: it's a regional discovery tool for the entire region, and the catalog specifically for ILL.
- This created some issues when searching; search results would show items that appeared to be lendable, but they would actually be from non-participating SEAL libraries.
- The categories streamline searching and make it possible to prioritize searching SEAL lenders. They also retain the catalog's functionality as a regional catalog.
- The default search is "All lenders", which will display results from libraries participating in ILL. If you want to search all libraries in the region, there is an "All" option. There are also categories for specific library types, including academic library lenders, public library lenders, special library lenders and the state library. (A school library option will be added at a later date).
- The categories are also available as a facet on the left-hand side of the search results screen.
- Several of our academic libraries in SEAL use ILLiad for their day to day inter-library loan.
- Zack and the amazing team at Vassar have been working on creating an API to integrate SEAL & ILLiad.
- SEAL requests can now appear automatically in ILLiad!
- Can replicate this with other libraries – we just need some information (API key & address information)
- Information on generating an API key is available here: https://support.atlas-sys.com/hc/en-us/articles/360011809334
- If you are interested in setting this up at your library, contact email@example.com.
Empire Library Delivery Update:
- Libraries are gradually turning on Empire Library Delivery.
- There are several pending libraries that should be active in the next few weeks.
- Kelsey has been keeping a list of active SEAL / ELD libraries on the restart page.
- If you want to see the current status of libraries, you can find that on the ELD roster.
Turning on / off lending:
- If you ever need to change your lending status, you can do so by heading to My account -> Library lending profile -> Suspend your library's lending status. Changing it to no will allow your library to receive ILL requests; changing it to yes will prevent your library from receiving ILL requests.
Changing your username / password:
- If you need to change your username and password, you can do so by hitting "edit" in your account. This will open a page that allows you to change your username, password, and associated account email. Once you change these, scroll to the bottom of the page to hit "save" before ex-ing out.
Finding the lending status of other libraries:
- If you need to see the lending status of another library, you can do so by heading to the SEAL directory. The directory allows you to search by library title, or by library system. At the bottom of each directory entry, it will say "accepting requests". If this is set to no, you will not be able to request materials from that library at this time.
Upcoming Resource Sharing Events:
- Southeastern has teamed up with three other library resources councils to host an ILL event on September 29th, from 9-1. The event is called "Not Lost in Transition: Resource Sharing in Changing times". Registration is available here: https://scrlc.org/events/view/6264
- The event will include a variety of speakers, including a presentation by a librarian at the CDC. There will also be time to discuss people's ILL experiences during the pandemic.
- There will be an hour at the end of the session for networking with people across the state.
Resource Sharing SIG:
A few other notes:
- Kelsey has been updating the ILL libguide with news. This includes professional development announcements, updates from REALM, and other relevant ILL news.
- If you aren't receiving the SEAL newsletter but would like to, contact Kelsey to be added to the list.
- Kelsey is going to work on re-scheduling the webinars that were cancelled earlier this year. This includes the basic SEAL training and a training focusing on the SEAL catalog.
21 South Elting Corners Road | Highland, NY 12528
Phone: (845) 883-9065