Southeastern NY Library Resources Council: Equity Diversity and Inclusion Special Interest Group September 21, 2022
Meeting lead by Morgan Strand (Nyack Library – Teen Specialist) and Tracy Dunstan (Nyack Library – Head of Adult Services)
Short clip shown – That Little Voice
Topics Covered: Censorship & Mentorship
- What are silencers attempting to silence?
- Not just voices, but information
- Control what we think
- Do not want to be questioned
- Voicing superiority
- Highlight one perspective or narrative
- What can we as library workers do to ensure all voices are heard?
- Post mission statement in multiple languages
- Model listening to all
- Make our collections diverse
- Make our programming diverse
- Why is mentoring important?
- It allows you to see someone who looks like you in your role and gives you the opportunity to express yourself to someone who will understand how you feel.
- How can mentoring go badly?
- Mentor or mentee may not put in the effort the other is giving
- Mentor may try to keep the status quo
- How can mentoring help with EDI?
- Reciprocal learning
- Having conversations, looking at processes and policies they abide by
- Not necessarily a formal mentorship
- Workers can draw strength from other colleagues who are supportive and positive
- Do the Work!: An Antiracist Activity Book by W. Kamau Bell and Kate Schatz
- Coalition for Library Workers of Color
Next meeting January 2023