- Go a step further and find a way to bring faculty into the group.
- Maybe host a meeting at different schools with a topic of the day.
- have the college librarians come and address the faculty.
- Different standards for different levels & disciplines – ACRL for college, IFC, CCS, ISDE standards in high school.
- are the skills that are highlighted in IFC really giving them a building block for ACRL?
- The group could get together to do that virtually to make sure they correlate.
- Skill of evaluation and looking critically at sources. Are the freshman in college ready to evaluate sources?
- The expectations that students are ready for the library falls apart when students enter academic libraries. We need to teach them when to be independent and when to ask for help. Students should get to know all the things that they can do in the library space, including getting help.
- The depth of the resources depends on the requirements of the teacher.
FOR NEXT TIME, Tuesday, August 16 - 12:00pm - 3:00pm
Academics could bring samples of research that college freshman are expected to do.
Topics: more about standards, getting faculty and teachers on board, building experiences within the library (either hearing about it, or visiting on site), use college students to talk to high school groups.
REGISTER HERE: http://www.senylrc.org/HS2CollegeSIG